The Adult Love Where You Live Summer Challenge is off to a great start. We have received many fabulous summer adventure responses, and I wish I could list them all! Here are a few highlights from our Willard Library community:
Our Willard friends bird watched at the Kellogg Sanctuary, a nature preserve, Leila Arboretum, and their backyards. One friend even built a birdhouse for backyard-feathered friends! Among the birds spotted were robins, warblers, blue jays, hummingbirds, phoebes, grosbeaks, and orioles.
Our friends celebrated nature and Michigan authors by reading The House With a Clock In its Walls, American Buffalo, Ruby's Birds, Born a Crime, South of Superior, and Into The Jungle, and one friend discovered Battle Creek crime writer, Bob Holderbaum's, new book Trestle Of Death: Murder Unpunished.
We challenged our Willard community to celebrate family and friends by watching community-themed movies and TV shows. Among the movies watched were Dumbo, Coco, and Big Fish.
Collectively, our Willard community would like out-of-towners to know:
- The library and The Battle Creek Shopper News are the best sources of current events
- The parks and memorials are great places to relax
- Go to Bridge Park and Goguac Lake for a nice walk
- Eat at Clara's on the River
- Take a walk through Downtown Battle Creek during Christmas
- Check out the beautiful pieces on the Art Walk
- If you like good coffee and doughnuts, visit Cafe Rica, Corner Cafe, or Station 66.
I leave you with one Willard friend's favorite spots to feel close to nature:
- Willard Beach
- Bailey Park
- Linear Path
- Friendship Park.
What has been your favorite part of the summer?
Don't forget, you have until Sunday, Sept. 8, to turn in your summer challenge in exchange for a nifty Love Where You Live blue fanny pack! We only ask that you complete at least six of the challenges.